If we say the word “pavers” and you think of bricks, you are in for a surprise. Pavers are a huge part of our hardscapes and there are enough different types to warrant a whole page.
- NATURAL STONE PAVERS: These may be limestone, flagstone or shale. For more exquisite tastes, consider marble, travertine or granite.
- CULTURED STONE PAVERS: If you desire the look of expensive stone but would rather avoid the price tag, or simply don’t want to have the weight of the real stone to deal with, consider using cultured pavers. These manufactured replicas are just as durable, lighter and less expensive.
Choices then break into the following groupings. Some categories consist of natural and cultured options, while others, such as the permeable varieties, are manufactured.
- DRIVEWAY PAVERS: These stamped forms are a great option for those who want to put in a nice driveway. Not only are they durable, but they won’t crack like a concrete driveway and if something does damage them, they are easily pulled up and replaced.
- FLAGSTONE PAVERS: These are generally irregular in shape and size and may vary in color.
- PATIO PAVERS: You may agree with us that this is actually a collection of everything on this page. The terms mean different things to people based on their own knowledge and experience. There is no limit to the assortment of pavers you could use for a patio surface, and you may even want to incorporate many types in the one design. We encourage you to try it. If you see a pattern that should be on the patio, then go for it. There are pavers to represent every single idea.
- POROUS CONCRETE PAVERS: One type of permeable pavers, these are a sustainable form of pavers. These work as a filter for the water entering the water table and do allow that runoff back into the soil. Permeables are considered eco-friendly and are gaining in popularity. While some are solid interlocking forms manufactured in such a way to allow water through, others are actually shaped in open forms where sand, pea gravel, or even creeping thyme or grass can grow through. These come in some amazing patterns and designs, and the colors are great as well. While some of these are in overlapping categories, such as grass pavers or interlocking concrete, that isn’t necessarily true for all of them.
- INTERLOCKING CONCRETE PAVERS: This style is another permeable paver and they lock together for a good, tight fit. These make beautiful patios, walkways and driveways. Some are standard shaped, but others are special shapes which interlock in beautiful patterns. The standout, defining feature of these pavers is that they give a solid appearance. The materials, however, allow water to seep through. This advantage is not found with all types of pavers and sometimes this is the reason to opt for this type of paver.
- BRICK PAVERS: These kiln-fired blocks are one of the most common types of building materials, and there are millions of homes around the country with bricks in the patio or walkway. They are durable.
- GRASS PAVERS: These pavers are an amazing technological feat. The purpose of these pavers is to manage the rainwater, and allow it to move back into the ground while keeping the ground stable and solid. They are beautiful as well and can almost be an art form of their own. The geometric shapes can be complex, or quite simple, but all are a beautiful way to enhance your grounds while allowing a green space. These are wonderful for people who may have smaller yards. If you have challenges with standing water or run-off, these may be a great option. Consider putting drainage systems underneath to assist in getting those puddles to a minimum.
Now, we don’t want you to be totally overwhelmed by the many amazing options available to you, so that’s where our helpful knowledge and expertise come in. We invite you to give Outdoor Hardscapes a call today so we can help bring your ideas, visions, challenges, colors, budget and plans to life by helping you narrow down your choices. We have a well qualified team of designers to take you from overwhelmed and confused, to excited and overjoyed. Our experience in transforming landscapes will pay off when we help you make your dreams come true and turn your green spaces into truly enjoyable ones.